Normal conventional washing powder is normally filled with chemicals such as sulfates, perfumes, and phenols etc.
A lot of brands also contain things such as petroleum distillates that are associated with cancer and lung diseases, on top of that perfumes in detergents are often made from a harmful mixture of chemicals.
Fortunately, it's very easy and quick to make your own washing powder. Basically, only three ingredients are needed for either a powder or liquid.
I have edited a bit in the recipes and made a liquid washing powder. A piece of good advice is lemon oil, is particularly good against stains, and smells great.
Another plus is that it´s very cheap, so you save money plus doing it your self. Also, you save the environment because it doesn't make the same impact, with production, transport, and packing.
I normally mix it in my bathtub in the bathroom.
What you need off equipment:
- A 12-liter bucket (available from a DIY shop)
- A pot
- A large spoon
- Packaging for storage (optional - use any empty used)
How to make it!
- Grate the soap on the grater or in a food processor.
- Put grated soap in a pot of 6 dl of water and warm slowly with constant stirring until the soap is completely dissolved.
- Pour 6 liters of hot water from the tap into a 12-liter bucket, add the washing soda and stir until completely dissolved.
- Pour the soap mixture from the pan into the bucket and mix thoroughly.
- Cover to leave overnight.
- Shake or stir until mixtures are smooth and pour on smaller containers.
- Use 1-2 dl per. wash.
- Stir or shake before each use.
What ingredients are used for making the Liquid washing powder
- Washing soda (sodium carbonate) is a detergent that can dissolve fat, help make the white whiter, clothes softer and the machine cleaner.
- Sodium (sodium bicarbonate) refreshes the garments and enhances the effect of the washing soda. Soda helps to loosen the worst collections of dirt and odors and to highlight the colors of the garments.
- Solid soap I recommend you to use a version made from vegetable soaps and pure oils.
- Stock vinegar. Use the white vinegar and preferably eco. Used as a rinse aid and can also be placed in the wash part. It keeps the color in the clothes, prevents lime from watering in the clothes and the machine, and loosens soap residue.